School Teacher vs. Stay-at-home Mom

by Heavenly Mommy on July 29, 2010

Many of you may not know, but I was an elementary school teacher before I was a stay-at-home mom. I have been home with my son for almost two years now. I can truly say that there have been many rough days that have caused me to think about going back to work. Wouldn’t it be easier to take care of a bunch of kids who aren’t mine?

The answer is easy. NO WAY! A classroom full of kids is tough, especially when their parents aren’t involved and they have no desire to do well in school. Or even do their homework for that matter.

So as the new school year approaches, I think about the endless possibilities of a fresh start with a classroom full of kiddos. New kids, new supplies, new clothes and a surge of positive attitudes. But then I think of my little Ryan.

Ryan means the world to me. Part of being a stay-at-home mom is getting to take your son to school on his first day of preschool and then be there to pick him up at the end of the day. Helping out in his classroom when he’s in elementary school. Taking him for ice cream after school when he’s had a bad day. Being home to help him with his homework and taking him to his extra-curricular activities.

Those are my reasons for choosing to be a stay-at-home mom over going back to work as a teacher. I know some people are in a situation where they have to go back to work and have no¬†option to stay home. I’m very fortunate that my husband makes enough money for me to stay home if I choose.

I admire those women who must go to work and then come home and take care of their children. I also admire those women who get to stay home with their children and their “job” is 24/7. We all do what we have to in order to be the best mom for our children. That’s all any child can ask for in a mom.

Are you a working mom or a stay-at-home mom? Did you get to decide or was the decision made for you? Would you like it to be the other way around? Leave a comment and share your thoughts with us…

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 actingbalanced July 30, 2010 at 5:31 am

I'm a SAHM partly by choice and partly by circumstance… for a long time, after we moved to the US, it would have been tough to find a job that would apply for me to have the right to work in the states, so I just let it go… but now that we have permanent residency, I am able to work if I choose, but we've decided that for the foreseeable future, my place is as a SAHM
My recent post My lucky day!

2 Michele July 30, 2010 at 4:30 am

I have been a stay-at-home mom for two years now, but my situation is totally different. I also keep 5 other children as well, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! I would'nt trade it for anything in the world, even though the thought has crossed my mind a few times, but it was only "for a moment." I love our son and the other children that I care for and this was the best decision that my husband and I could have made!!!

3 ladybugmom July 30, 2010 at 8:42 am

I worked a full time corporate job when my first daughter was born. Shortly after becoming a mommy I decided to become a teacher would be a more practical career for family since we couldn't afford for me to stay home. I taught for 6 years and it was a much better option from the coorporate lifestyle, although my heart really wanted to stay home. My 1st husband passed away when my girls were 2 and 5 years old. I taught 5 year olds all day and went home to little ones, needless to say there wasn't much adult interaction and my own children got me at the end of the day when I was worn out and tired. It wasn't fair to them and I wanted to give them more of me. So I decided to stay at home. I am re-married now, to a wonderful man (who also lost his wife). Together, we have 4 children (ages 5 – 19) and it is such an honor to get to stay home and raise our kids. It's so valuable to be a part of their lives in such a meaningful way! To get to take them and pick them up from school, bake with them, play with them, enjoy them! Someday, they will be grown and gone and you will never get these precious years back!

4 Jeanette July 30, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hi, thanks for this thoughtful post! I was also an elementary school teacher before I had my children. Now I am a SAHM with 3 kiddos ages 4,3, and 2. It is crazy, and I must admit I am not in the least domestic! Making the decision to stay home wasn't hard – I know that the first five years of their lives are the most formative, and I want to be the one influencing them and helping them during that time. However, staying at home sometimes can be really hard. It can make me feel a little trapped and out of touch with the rest of the world. That's why I started my on-line art business. it's a chance for me to have some adult interaction and use my creativity each day while still being home with the kiddos.
I do miss teaching a lot and hope to go back to it when my youngest is in school. I already have the job offer! :)
thanks again for the inspiration and thoughts.
My recent post Found It Friday – Water

5 Melisa July 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I'm a SAHM and some days I love it and others I think going back to work would be easier but then I look at my little ones face and I know I am lucky to be home with him.
My recent post 10 Things No One Told Me About Being A SAHM

6 CFmomma August 1, 2010 at 3:20 am

i am a new follower, found through picketfence! i cant wait to read more, and learn more!

7 Felicia August 1, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I am a stay at home and couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to the day where I can work with my girls at school. I wish I could get my sweet husband to understand that…he doesn't understand that holding down a job will cut into that precious time when they are in school.

My recent post I have a new toy

8 Jen August 1, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Love your blog BFJ! Unfortunately, I had to go back to work and I would do about anything to be a stay at home mom. Not that I thought I would be some terrible mother, but I never really thought I would want to give up my career and stay home. Funny how things change because spending time my little princess is the most amazing thing in the world. You are very lucky to be able to stay at home with Ryan. I do my best to spend as much time with Abby as I can, even after a long day at work.

9 Felicia August 2, 2010 at 7:24 am

Hey I am giving you an award. Head over to my blog to grab it.

10 Barbara Nichols August 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I work outside the home fulltime due to no choice. Money is tight and we couldn't afford for me not to. I hate it and wish I could stay at home with our son. For those of you who get to stay at home with your kids, treasure it!! There are so many of us that wish we could!

11 HeavenlyMommy August 3, 2010 at 1:40 am

Hi Barbara,

I try to remember how lucky I am when my son is frustrating me. I'm fortunate to be able to witness even the moments that aren't so great too! LOL

12 Katrina August 3, 2010 at 1:39 am

I wish I could be a SAHM, but unfortunatly my hubby just doesn't make enough to support us in California. Maybe in the future, but not now =(

13 Melinda August 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I've worked outside the home, been SAHM for 12 years, and now I'm a WAHM. They all have their benefits and challenges. I can't say one is harder than the other…just different. If you feel you are missing something staying at home, volunteer somewhere. It is a great way to get some social interaction and a feeling of accomplishment that the load of laundry can't seem to do some days. :)
My recent post Speedy Grocery Shopping

14 Tonya August 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I have a 5 yr old daugher who states kindergarden this year (makes me wanna cry) 4 year son and my youngest daughter is 4 months. I have to go back to work FT but at least it day shift, so its not that bad BUT I also go to collage FT LOL.. so im busy but my hubb helps out so its great and one day when its all said and done I can too stay home :)

So right now I am workong on a lack of sleep but wouldnt have it NO other way, I would be lost without my kiddos

15 Aj Carlile August 4, 2010 at 12:25 am

I would say a stay at home mom is rather more rewarding than a working mom if finances permit. Just think about it we all strive to work hard so we can provide the needs of our family especially our kids but money isn’t what we all need. Children need their parents to be with them when they need them the most (emotionally and physically). However, I'd say in this generation you can do both. A mom can stay at home and work as well. We call them work at home moms, this is the opportunity that internet has brought us. Online jobs for moms give them the chance to earn while tending their children.
One can always start a business online. This way you get to choose something that you know or already have.You have to explore the internet to learn new stuff. YouTube and other social media sites enables you to share your videos to market your work at home business.

My recent post Twitter Marketing – Avoiding Simple Twitter Mistakes

16 Tasnee August 4, 2010 at 7:40 am

I get to be a stay at home mom in the summer time. (Which is great now that the kids are older.) Being a teacher gives me good hours so that I get to spend most of the time the kids are out of school with them! Luckily for many of the years she has been in school, my daughter has been coming to my school! The most challenging are the Jr. High years!:) I am also a marriage and family intern and had been working hours after school to give parenting classes and work with troubled youth and their families. I had to temporarily give that up so I could make sure I had the time and energy to give to my 13 year old daughter during these Jr. High years! Ironic that I was spending extra time away from my own family to help other families become connected and involved and spend quality time together. It is great those of you who want and get to stay home and be involved with your kids. Whether you stay at home or not, the most important thing is to stay connected and involved with each of your children. Time goes by fast and I can get back to my things when she is in high school! Sometimes we have to admit that we can't be it ALL, and we don't have to be it ALL, even when we think we are superhuman, we have to take care of ourselves by letting some of the less important things go!